Judge Charles Atwell brings 40 years of rich litigation experience to his mediation and arbitration practice, including 16 years as a Circuit Judge in Jackson County, Missouri.
He served as an Assistant Prosecuting Attorney in Jackson County, Missouri and as an Assistant United States Attorney in the Western District of Missouri, following which he was in private practice for more than 22 years.
Charles Atwell has spent over 40 years being involved in litigation matters. This includes approximately 20 years as a trial lawyer and over 16 years as a Judge.
Since 2012, he has served as a private Mediator, Arbitrator and court-appointed Special Master. He has mediated a variety of different cases, from complex commercial and health care matters to personal injury cases and the like.
In 2007, he was named by Missouri Lawyers Weekly as the Best Circuit Judge in the State of Missouri. During his tenure on the bench, he served on the Missouri Court of Appeals and the Missouri Supreme Court as a Special Judge. He has maintained an AV rating with Martindale Hubbell for over 30 years. He was regularly named in Best Lawyers of America.
His experience includes disputes involving real estate transactions, securities fraud, bank fraud, employment cases in state and federal court, disputes regarding health care contracts, disputes involving interpretation of trust instruments, a wide range of consumer cases, class action cases and antitrust cases. He also is experienced in medical and legal malpractice cases, as well as general personal injury-type matters, including trucking and assorted product liability cases.
- B.S. in Education, University of Kansas, 1972
- University of Missouri at Kansas City – 1972 -72 (Graduated with 24-30 hours toward Masters in History)
- Juris Doctor, University of Missouri-Kansas City, 1978
- Named by Missouri Lawyers Weekly as the Best Circuit Judge in the State of Missouri, 2007
- Served as a Special Judge on the Missouri Court of Appeals and the Missouri Supreme Court
- Regularly named in Best Lawyers of America
- Has maintained an AV rating with Martindale Hubbell for over 30 years
- Board of Directors, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (NACDL)
- Missouri Bar
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- Life Member of NACDL
Schedule Your Appointment
To reserve an appointment online, please click your preferred available date. Our staff will contact you on receipt of your Appointment Request form.