John Phillips joined forces with former judges Jay Daugherty and Bob Schieber at the end of 2018, after leaving his active trial practice of over 40 years with the Husch Blackwell law firm.
His practice grew from general litigation to include commercial, class actions, employment and health care including both hospitals and medical malpractice defense work. In the latter part of his litigation career, he became well known as one of the most prominent employment litigators in the Midwest.
John has conducted thousands of mediations. He received early training as a Mediator and became nationally recognized for his mediation skills and broad subject matter knowledge while maintaining an active trial docket. He became a Fellow in the American College of Trial Lawyers in 2003.
He became an active member of the national ABA Section of Dispute Resolution, serving on the Council and as Chair, in 2012-13, leading the ABA Mediation Conference in Vietnam and Thailand in 2014. He also has been a Distinguished Fellow and Board member of both the International Academy of Mediators and the College of Commercial Arbitrators.
- University of Missouri-Columbia School of Law, cum laude, Juris Doctor, 1971
- Order of the Coif, Honorary Barrister Missouri Law Review, Editor-in-Chief Peking University Law School Summer Program, University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law, 2000
- Oxford Summer Law Program, University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law, 1988
- University of Missouri-Columbia, B.S. Business/Administration, cum laude, 1968
- International Academy of Mediators
- Distinguished Fellow and Board Member College of Commercial Arbitrators Fellow and former Board Member American College of Trial Lawyers
- American College of Labor and Employment Lawyers The Best Lawyers In America, Arbitration, Employment Law-Management, Labor Law-Management, Litigation-Labor & Employment, Mediation, 1993-present
- The Best Lawyers In America, Kansas City, Mo., Mediation Lawyer of the Year, 2012
- Chambers USA, Labor & Employment Law, 2003-present
- Kansas City Business Journal, Best of the Bar Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers, Employment & Labor Law, Mediation, Arbitration, YEAR?
- International Relations Council, Mike Wood Presidential Citation of Merit, 2010
- University of Missouri Board of Curators, 2012-present
- Saint Luke’s Hospital of Kansas City and System, Board and Board Secretary, 2000-present
- Benchmark Litigation, Local Litigation Star, 2010-2012
- AAA Complex Commercial and Employment Law Arbitration/Mediation Panels, 1990-present
- American Bar Association, Asia-Pacific Mediation Leadership Conference, Co-chair, Vietnam & Thailand, 2013
- American Bar Association, Dispute Resolution Section, 2000-present; Chair, 2012-2013
- CPR/CCPIT U.S.-China Mediation Panel, 2006-present
- CPR National Panel of Neutrals, 2000-present
- Cy Pres Committee on Funding for Missouri Legal Services Programs
- Dalkon Shield Arbitration Panel, 1992-2004
- Global Kansas City Commission, 2006-2010
- International Relations Council, Board of Directors, 2002-2010
- Chinese People’s Friendship Society, Vice-Chair, 2002-presentEdgar Snow Memorial Foundation, Vice-Chair, 2001-present
- Kansas City Chinese American Association, 2010-present
- Kansas City Labor-Management Council, Executive Board, 1996-2018
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association, Labor Law Committee, 1980-present; Managing Partners Committee, Chair, 1998-2002
- ADR Committee, Chair, 2002
- Merrill Lynch Sex Discrimination Claim Resolution Process, 2004-2007
- Missouri 16th Judicial Circuit Case Management Committee, 2004-2009
- The Missouri Bar, Labor and Employment Committee; Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee, 1986-present
- Missouri Supreme Court Automation Committee, 1998-2002
- Missouri Supreme Court Commission on Alternative Dispute Resolution, 2008-2016
- National Association of Distinguished Neutrals, Charter Member, 2010-present
- Quintiles Institutional Review Board, 1990-2009
- Society for Human Resource Management, Former State Council Legislative Affairs Director YEAR?
- University of Missouri-Kansas City Bloch School of Business, Human Resources Advisory Council, 1996-2011
- U.S. District Court Early Assessment Program, Mediation and Arbitration Panels, 1992-present
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Missouri, Civil Justice Advisory Committee, 1992-1994
Schedule Your Appointment
To reserve an appointment online, please click your preferred available date. Our staff will contact you on receipt of your Appointment Request form.